Frequently Asked Questions


How do I request records from Grays Harbor Superior Court or Juvenile Department?
Please see the Grays Harbor Superior Court GR 31.1 Policy below for information about how to request these records.
Superior Court & Juvenile Department Contacts:
Grays Harbor County Superior court
102 W Broadway, Room 305
Montesano, WA 98563
360-249-5311 Ext. 3

Grays Harbor Superior Court GR 31.1 Policy
Grays Harbor Superior Court & Juvenile GR 31.1 Request Form


How do I request records from the Grays Harbor Superior Court Clerk?
The hyperlink below will take you to the Clerk’s web page with directions for requesting records from the Court Clerk.
Grays Harbor County Superior Court Clerk:
Grays Harbor County Clerk's Office
102 W Broadway, Room 203
Montesano, WA 98563

Requesting Information from Superior Court Clerk

 3.   How do I request records from the Grays Harbor County Sheriff’s Department?

Sheriff’s Office Contacts:
PO Box 630
Montesano, WA 
(360) 249-3711
(360) 532-3284
Fax: 360-249-3288

Sheriff's Office Public Disclosure Request Form
Sheriff’s Office Frequently Asked Questions

 4   How do I request records from Grays Harbor County?

Grays Harbor County records can be requested by using Grays Harbor County’s Public Records Request form. That completed form can be submitted in person, by email (, or USPS Mail.

 5   What happens to my request?

General County records requests are received by the County Public Records Officer. From there, your request is sent to the appropriate department (s) for a search for records. After a search is conducted, you will be contacted by the Public Records Officer for arrangement of delivery and payment. Sheriff records, Juvenile Department records, Grays Harbor Superior Court records, and Grays Harbor District Court are not handled by the County’s Public Records Officers and should be submitted directly to those departments.


What information should I include in my request?
It's helpful to include as much information as you can, such as document titles, specific dates, times, addresses, and case numbers allow County staff to more effectively locate documents pertaining to your request.

 7.   Will my request for records be kept confidential?

No, your request becomes a public record and can be requested and/ or viewed by others.


What is third party notification?
If records contain information that may affect others and may be exempt from disclosure, the County may send a notice to those parties informing them of the request prior to providing the records to the requestor.


When is a request considered abandoned?
If a requestor fails to fulfill their obligations to inspect, respond to clarification from by County staff, or make any payment in the allotted time period, the County may close the request and consider it abandoned.


What are exemptions to the Public Records Act?
Listings of the most common exemptions are found at RCW 42.56.210-510. In addition, other Washington laws may prohibit or exempt the disclosure of other classes of information.


How does the County handle large requests?
Large requests may be handled in installments.


Can I See All County Records?
No, Federal, State and/or county law restricts access to some records. The county may withhold restricted records in their entirety, or may "redact" (black out) part of a record depending on the statutory rules.


What About a List of Individuals?
If you request a public record that contains a list of individuals, you must submit a Declaration to Release List of Individuals verifying that the list of names will not be used for commercial purposes, which requires the following information:
• The date of your request
• Your contact information
• Your signed oath not to use the information for commercial purposes

 14.   Where can I find GRAYS HARBOR TRANSIT, the GRAYS HARBOR COUNTY HOUSING AUTHORITY, or GRAYS HARBOR COUNTY GARBAGE? Aren’t these organizations part of the Grays Harbor County government?

These are just a few of the organizations sometimes associated with being a county department. These entities function separately from county government and most maintain their own websites with useful information. Here is a listing of the websites and telephone numbers.

• Grays Harbor County Transit:
   (360) 632-2770 or 1-800-562-9730

• Housing Authority of Grays Harbor:
   (360) 532-0570

• Grays Harbor E-911:

• Port of Grays Harbor

• Grays Harbor Public Utility District

• LeMay’s (Garbage)