Legal Services Offered
The Family Support Division represents the State of Washington, and provides the following legal services:
- Judicial establishment of paternity and child support including requests from other counties, states, and Tribes
- Enforcement of support orders when parents fail to pay court-ordered child support through the contempt process
- Prosecution of interstate cases for paternity and child support orders on the same basis as in-state cases
- Modification of existing child support orders
- Representation of state interest in private dissolution, parentage, and non parental custody actions when tax dollars have been expended to support a child
- Legal representation of the Division of Child Support, a division of the Department of State Health Services (DSHS), in lawsuits challenging the agency’s collection actions against parents owing a duty of support
The Family Support Division does not represent parents or other individuals in child support cases. For a case to be initiated by the prosecutor's office, it must be referred by the Division of Child Support (DCS). Apply for child support services.
Family Support Division
108 W Marcy Avenue; Montesano, WA.
Office hours are: M, T, Th, Fr 8:00-5:00 and W 8:30-4:30.
Washington State Department of Social and Health Services - Division of Child Support
Northwest Justice Project - Free civil legal assistance and representation for low-income clients