Property Development Process - Permitting
Building permits are required for most construction activities in the County. Below is a list of common projects that require permitting (this list is not inclusive). Also, included is an inclusive list of work exempt from permitting. Please note that if your project is not listed on either Work Exempt bulletins below, assume that a permit is required and contact a Permit Coordinator for further assistance at 360-249-4222.
Permitting required for projects including but not limited to the following:
- New construction
- Additions to existing structures
- Decks (30" or more above grade)
- Covered patios/carports
- Storage sheds (larger than 200 sq. ft. - click here for more info)
- Accessory structures (larger than 800 sq. ft. - click here for more info)
- Mechanical work (i.e. hot water heaters, propane/gas tanks, ductless heat pump, fire place, etc.)
- Utility work
- De-stumping land
Exempt from permitting per the IBC, IRC and Grays Harbor County Code Amendments 15.04.030:
- Work Exempt from Permitting Under the International Residential Code (IRC)
- Work Exempt from Permitting Under the International Building Code (IBC)
- Exempt Accessory Structure (800 sq. ft. or less – click here for more info)
- Exempt Structure (200 sq.ft. or less - click here for more info)
- Exempt Agricultural Building (5,500 sq. ft. or less - click here for more info)
For additional building permit requirements select the appropriate option below.
Still Can't Find What You Are Looking For?